A program under SET-UP and the Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI), the Manufacturing Productivity Extension Program (MPEX) aims to increase productivity of small and medium scale enterprises (SMEs) in the Philippine manufacturing sector.
Identify strategies to improve productivity of small and medium manufacturing enterprises in the export sector and potential exporters
Recommend productivity improvement measures for immediate implementation
Develop capability to provide other forms of assistance to develop the manufacturing sector
To avail of the MPEX program, firms may be endorsed by industry association, DTI, or may apply directly to the regional office. MPEX consultants may recommend firms for inclusion in the program.
1. DOST-NCR's program coordinator, with a team of consultant, conducts plant visits to SMEs and introduces MPEX.
2. Owners / representative of potential firm beneficiaries are invited to a matching session for interview and evaluation. DOST-NCR shall be responsible for the identification and selection of final firm beneficiaries.
3. Matching of firms with MPEX team is done through DOST-NCR in consultation with firm beneficiary and team concerned.
4. Firms shall signify their agreement to participate in the program in writing.
MPEX Intervention Process:
· Each team prepares a Work Program for DOST's approval.
· Each firm designates their own personnel to assist the team during project implementation.
· Basic performance indicators to be assessed or measured at the start of the study include capacity utilization, output per worker, wastage levels, existing manufacturing systems and related operations.
· The MPEX team in consultation with the clients selects an area where productivity improvement potentials are great.
· The team then implements an in-depth study on the selected productivity improvement concern and formulates recommendations for implementation of the firm beneficiary.
· If needed, services of technology experts relevant to the firm's operation will also be tapped.
· Recommendations are discussed and validated with the firm's management and whenever possible, implemented immediately.
· A technical report by each team shall be submitted to DOST-NCR, documenting the assessment, analysis, evaluation and recommendations made.
· Each productivity study shall be completed within (2) man-months from contract signing plus (1) man-month for the installation of recommendations.
· Participation to the program is free of charge. However, full commitment and cooperation of the firm beneficiary is required specially in sharing relevant information to the team.
Areas Involved in Productivity Improvement:
· Capacity Utilization
· Financial Systems and Controls
· Human Resource Utilization
· Machine and Equipment Utilization
· Maintenance of Plant
· Manufacturing Systems
· Materials Management System
· Process and Operations
· Product design and packaging
· Product layout
· Quality Control Assurance System
· Safety and Housekeeping Practices Facilities
· Wastage levels
· Work Organizations
For inquiries, please call DOST-NCR at telephone numbers 837-3162 or 837-2071 loc. 2017 - 2019